Sleeping With the Devil | 12.18.22 | Sunday AM | On Fire Christian Church
1. Deuteronomy 32:1-17 (Read). They sacrificed to demons, not to God.” Deuteronomy 32:17 NKJV
a. The devil desires to be worshipped
i. “Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.” Matthew 4:8-9 NKJV
b. In Deuteronomy they were warned not to bow down and worship idols. Idols are nothing but demons desiring to enslave the human
i. “What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons.” I Corinthians 10:19-20 NKJV
ii. Who were the ones sacrificing to idols?
1. Those who were in covenant with God
2. Idols are actually demons spirits with personality
3. Deut 32:17 they were actually worshipping a demon while they thought they were worshipping God
2. Exodus 32:1-9. Israel worships Golden Calf
a. They said this calf was God
b. They bowed to idol and the fruit of their behavior was proof of their worship
i. A persons life will manifest destruction if they are bowing to an idol. It will take on the character of the idol demon they are bowing to
ii. “Then they rose early on the next day, offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” Exodus 32:6 NKJV
iii. Molech – demanded child sacrifice and in return would promise future children to be blessed
1. “And you shall not let any of your descendants pass through the fire to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.” Leviticus 18:21 NKJV
2. They bowed to the lies of a demon and that demon brought destruction to God’s people
3. Baal and Asherah- Sun and Moon gods and their lure to commit worship was sexual appetites
c. The flesh has desires and demons offer satisfaction to that lust but there must be an exchange and that is a bowing down which takes place when we take what the demon is offering
3. All sin is a bowing down to an idol which if not dealt with and repented of will lead even a believer to idolatry
a. Martin Luther said that idolatry is not one sin among many but the very basis of every sin.
b. Should believers therefore not have an understanding about sin and actually when we do sin be cut to heart that we actually bowed down to a demon?
4. Pride-Lust-Greed these sins sum up the devil and all devils can be summed up within these three
a. They are demons and as Christian’s we are to flee the worship of demons
b. Pride- Ananias and Sapphira wanted to look good at any price
c. Lust-Sampson-he desired things he should have. That demon put him in bondage
d. Greed-Balaam God told him not to go with the enemy to curse Israel but He did. His Greed caused him to compromise
i. teaching or doctrine of Balaam is the view that Christians can—or even should—compromise their convictions for the sake of popularity, money, sexual gratification, or personal gain. It’s the attitude that treats sin as “no big deal.”
5. “For all the gods of the peoples are idols, But the Lord made the heavens.” Psalms 96:5 NKJV
a. Idols are demons who desire worship through yielding to their characteristics and then give temporary treats in exchange for control over the persons life
b. ““No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.” Matthew 6:24 NKJV
i. Mammon is commonly thought to mean money, material wealth, or any entity that promises wealth, and is associated with the greedy pursuit of gain.
6. Jesus says you CANNOT serve both!
a. Because behind the sin is a demon
b. Greed is a demon
c. Gossip is a demon
d. Sexual sin is a demon
e. “‘Or if a person touches any unclean thing, whether it is the carcass of an unclean beast, or the carcass of unclean livestock, or the carcass of unclean creeping things, and he is unaware of it, he also shall be unclean and guilty. Or if he touches human uncleanness—whatever uncleanness with which a man may be defiled, and he is unaware of it—when he realizes it, then he shall be guilty.” Leviticus 5:2-3 NKJV
7. Christians are not called to be sleeping with the devil
a. “Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For “the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.” But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” I Corinthians 6:15-20 NKJV